DPRG: Re: [Fwd: Hello!]

Subject: DPRG: Re: [Fwd: Hello!]
From: Eric Yundt eric at facetcorp.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 00:01:28 CDT 1999

Patrick,

> Patrick O'Malley wrote:
>
> >     Hello.
> >     I'm new to the Dallas area having moved here just last week. I'm
> > doing a stint as an intern for Raytheon. In my past life (meaning before

Welcome to Dallas!

> > last week) I was an undergraduate student at the University of Florida.
> > In particular I worked as a teaching assistant for the robotics class
> > there (EEL5666) and a research assistant under a professor in the area
> > of machine learning. The lab I worked at is the Machine Intelligence Lab
> > -- www.mil.ufl.edu.
> >     About two to three weeks ago you might hae heard about the Second
> > Annual Autonomous Underwater Vehicle competition held in Panama City by
> > AUVSI (Autonomous Unmanned Vehicle Systems International) and the Office
> > of Naval Research. UF came in second behind MIT and ahead of FAU, Naval
> > Academy and Stephens Institute.
> >     I was on the core UF team that produced the SubjuGator
> > (www.mil.ufl.edu/subjugator). My question is: Would your group be
> > interested in a small talk about SubjuGator?

Without a doubt!  We would all REALLY enjoy it!   ;-)

If SubjuGator is the sub I'm thinking of... it seems like a couple
of years ago I was really checking it out and put a link or two to it
>from one of my webpages.  Is this the same sub as the one on David
Novack's (sp?) webpage?  I remember a nice 2 minute video that I
linked to back then from:

	http://www.doorbell.com/yatu/robovids.html#uuvs

> > interested in a small talk about SubjuGator? It would basically be about
> > how the systems work together (software architecture), the various
> > hardware components, the sensors and the electronics (my favorite part.)
> > I can get you the paper we wrote about it if you want to know more.

We crave Robot knowledge and want to know as much as possible!

> >     I can't wait to attend your meetings and (if I have time) become an
> > active member.

We're looking forward to it.

BTW, I don't know which Raytheon location you're hanging out at
but if you can make it for lunch up at the Collin Creek Mall food
court in Plano, Thursday, 11:30-ish to 1:00-ish, there will be a
bunch of us meeting there for our weekly RPL (Robot Power Lunch).
It's mall food, but good Robotics conversation and even the
occasional Robot or two.

We're gearing up for the DPRG semi-annual Roborama (contest) in
September so it will be a good time to join us for the fun.
Unfortunately we don't have any water hazards on the contest
course, but if you stick around I'm sure we can arrange some.  ;-)

> >     Sincerely,
> >
> >     Patrick O'Malley
> >
> >     http://www.mlr.ufl.edu/~pomalley

BTW, if you're not on our mailing list you might want to check it
out -- it's where we hold most of our Robot-related discussions.
Our webpage has instructions on how to sign up:

	http://www.dprg.org/listserver.html

Good to hear from you and looking forward to tales of...

	THE GREAT

	S - U - B - J - U - G - A - T - O - R ! ! !

(Perhaps he could co-star in a Japanese monster movie with Otto?)

;-)))

- --
Eric

   \  ._____(    FacetCorp       Eric Yundt               eric at facetcorp.com
    | |     `                    Technical Support     support at facetcorp.com
 _--~~~---.    "Putting the      FacetTerm/Win Evals       www.facetcorp.com
( ,----._./     Power of UNIX
 `-_| |_,       behind Win95's    FacetCorp - Makers of FacetTerm & FacetWin
    | |         Pretty Face!"     4031 W Plano Pkwy, Plano, TX   75093   USA
   /___\                          Phone: 972-985-9901      Fax: 972-612-2035