DPRG: OS-9 anyone?

Subject: DPRG: OS-9 anyone?
From: Brad Garton bgart at iadfw.net
Date: Thu Aug 26 20:44:22 CDT 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:13:15 -0500, you wrote:
Yes,
I designed an embedded system that used OS-9 on a 68340 based system
in the early 90s, and I used the 6809 version of the system at UT in
the late 80s. It hasn't so much been supplanted by linux, although
there is work on real time versions of the Linux. as by ThreadX, eCos,
VxWorks, Nucleus etc.,  and a new realtime OS from Microware, can't
remember the name though.  For most hobbyist applictions, Linux makes
a lot of sense.. It's free. I'm not sure how much the OS needs to be
designed for Real time, if the application uses only a fraction of the
CPU, as is the case for most of my current projects. If you can have
some control over the thread priorities, you can make sure high
priority tasks get done first. This is all the real time most of us
need.

bg