DPRG: Need a license for GIF images on website?

Subject: DPRG: Need a license for GIF images on website?
From: Eric Yundt eric at facetcorp.com
Date: Sun Aug 29 13:29:38 CDT 1999

Kip,

Kipton Moravec wrote:

> I was looking at the following link after it was brought up on NTLUG.
>
> http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzwfaq.html
>
> The way I understand it, Unisys has the patent ...

Further research indicates that on July of 1999, Unisys did
started stirring up trouble again.

    http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/Gif/Gif.html

This MIT site did have "Unisys's Official Statement" although it does
appear to be from 1995:

    http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/Gif/unisys.html

    Pertinent Excerpts:
    For organizations introducing World Wide Web servers and "Home
    Page" offerings, most will not be required to secure a license
    from Unisys. Most organizations acquire software from other
    developers to create their offerings on their servers. Therefore,
    only the software firms who sell the enabling software for profit
    would be expected to secure a licensing agreement from Unisys.

    Unisys does not require licensing, or fees to be paid, for
    non-commercial, non-profit GIF-based applications, including those
    for use on the on-line services.

    Commercial developers of GIF-based software for the Internet are
    expected to secure a licensing agreement with Unisys for software
    products introduced beginning in 1995, or enhancements of products
    that were introduced prior to 1995.

Depending upon what exactly the latest bru-ha-ha/Unisys PR nightmare
is all about, maybe these guys do have the right idea.

    http://burnallgifs.org/

Either way in a real-world sense, I don't think we have anything
to worry about until such time that we get a "Cease And Desist"
letter from somebody's legal attack dog -- and we would probably
be WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY down the list of attackees.  ;-)

- --
Eric