DPRG: B2Bot update.

Subject: DPRG: B2Bot update.
From: James, Bill w-james2 at ti.com
Date: Mon Aug 30 08:44:42 CDT 1999

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEF2ED.D008217E

Well, a milestone was passed this weekend. I ran the computer that will be
in Beerbot (now to be called B2Bot or Cyclops, to be decided) off of the
battery. I finished wiring up the power distubution board and the connector
to the pc. I plugged in the pc and got nothing. Hmmmm, the I added the
second battery and checked the levels and pop pop. Blew two caps on the
board. Damn. Measure, check, damn, -12 and +12 were swapped. Swapped those
back, replaced the 10uf cap with some bigger ones that I had and reconnected
it to the battery. Yea it works. I need to see how much current it is
drawing and also see how much the motors will affect it.

The hbridge board was then mounted underneath the two motors. The first of 4
IRPROX was mounted on the front bottom. Holes for left and right IRPROX are
already there from the first version. The fourth one will be be placed on
the bottom of the top plate. Checked the mounting of the camera, smoothed
out the motion a little, and moved the cord from the back to the bottom of
the camera. This is to allow the camera to look almost straight down and see
the claw. I am planing on using that to move the robot to the can. Then
disassembled the camera and spray painted it black. It now looks awesome,
the cherry red head and the black camera, that is why I am thinking of
renaming him, Cyclops.

Sunday I spent making the skins. There are five in total, three on the
bottom level and two on the top.
I am using some real light weight aluminium sheathing that I found at Lowes
for $6.00 for 10 ft by 10 inches. It is very flexable, it cuts very easily
with the shears and I was even able to punch the screw holes with a cheap
paper hole punch (it didn't like punching holes in two layers, bought a
regular punch after that). I was able to bend a seam around the edges and
make it safer, it looks like now I will only need the linear grommet
material around the wheel openings.

I don't believe it will be  ready to move by this weekend, I will bring it
though and we can hook up the camera to a laptop so the kids can see what
the robot is seeing. But I am hopeful for the contest in October.

Bill James
w-james2 at ti.com
Single Supply OpAmps
Precision Analog             Texas Instruments
work 972.480.2306          972.598.6201 pager

Have Spacesuit will travel------Polymath in Training

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BEF2ED.D008217E

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>B2Bot update.</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Well, a milestone was passed this =
weekend. I ran the computer that will be in Beerbot (now to be called =
B2Bot or Cyclops, to be decided) off of the battery. I finished wiring =
up the power distubution board and the connector to the pc. I plugged =
in the pc and got nothing. Hmmmm, the I added the second battery and =
checked the levels and pop pop. Blew two caps on the board. Damn. =
Measure, check, damn, -12 and +12 were swapped. Swapped those back, =
replaced the 10uf cap with some bigger ones that I had and reconnected =
it to the battery. Yea it works. I need to see how much current it is =
drawing and also see how much the motors will affect it. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The hbridge board was then mounted =
underneath the two motors. The first of 4 IRPROX was mounted on the =
front bottom. Holes for left and right IRPROX are already there from =
the first version. The fourth one will be be placed on the bottom of =
the top plate. Checked the mounting of the camera, smoothed out the =
motion a little, and moved the cord from the back to the bottom of the =
camera. This is to allow the camera to look almost straight down and =
see the claw. I am planing on using that to move the robot to the can. =
Then disassembled the camera and spray painted it black. It now looks =
awesome, the cherry red head and the black camera, that is why I am =
thinking of renaming him, Cyclops.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sunday I spent making the skins. There =
are five in total, three on the bottom level and two on the top.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am using some real light weight =
aluminium sheathing that I found at Lowes for $6.00 for 10 ft by 10 =
inches. It is very flexable, it cuts very easily with the shears and I =
was even able to punch the screw holes with a cheap paper hole punch =
(it didn't like punching holes in two layers, bought a regular punch =
after that). I was able to bend a seam around the edges and make it =
safer, it looks like now I will only need the linear grommet material =
around the wheel openings. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I don't believe it will be&nbsp; ready =
to move by this weekend, I will bring it though and we can hook up the =
camera to a laptop so the kids can see what the robot is seeing. But I =
am hopeful for the contest in October. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Bill James </FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">w-james2 at ti.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Single Supply OpAmps</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Precision =
Analog&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp; Texas Instruments</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">work =
972.480.2306&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
972.598.6201 pager</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Have Spacesuit will =
travel------Polymath in Training</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>