DPRG: microcontroller + ethernet card?

Subject: DPRG: microcontroller + ethernet card?
From: Bryan Andersen bryan at visi.com
Date: Sun Feb 7 13:21:43 CST 1999

Ed Koffeman wrote:

> >add networked devices in your house.  I know an ethernet interface has
> >been made with a PIC (in Circuit Cellar INK), but that solution seems
>
> That was an IP protocol packet responder in a PIC.
>
> The Ethernet itself is much more demanding.
>
> Ed Koffeman

On a cheep basis I found that single board PC Computers
with onboard ethernet controlers was the overall cheepest
and least effort way to get full ethernet nodes around
the house.  The thing is you are now talking $300+ a
node.  The nice thing is you can use full PC development
software to program them.  It's a little over my price
range right now, so I haven't done anything with it yet.

For truely cheep communication in a networked fasion,
consider using a RS-485 bus, then talk simple RS-232
timed serial over it.

     MCU<-->UART<-->RS-485 tranceiver<--> bus.

I'm using a similar method for communication between
processor nodes on my robot, but I'm using IRDA 3 of
16 timing specs.  Using the IRDA timing I can do simple
collision detection on Scenix SX CPUs.  I'm getting
transfer rates fo 250k bits a second between nodes for
short < 12 inch links.  I haven't tried longer liinks
out yet as I don't have use for them.  The RS-485 specs
for > 1000 feet links over twisted pair at 250k baud.

My hardware is simple, I just use three pins on the
SX-50 MCU tied to the tranceiver chip's pins for
transmit, receive, and transmit enable.  (Receive Enable
on the RS-485 tranceiver is always enabled).  There are
only two link wires which go directly to the A/B pins on
the tranceiver, then a place on the PCB for a 1/4watt 120
Ohm resistor if needed.  (The resistor is used if the
board is at the end of the link.  It provides loop
termination much like thin wire ethernet needs.)

For a description of the RS-485 bus, look at some of the
spec sheets for tranceiver chips at www.maxim-ic.com.
Do a search on RS-485.  It's a simple current loop
interface that allows up to 32 devices per loop (or 128
if using low draw devices).  At the ends of each loop
are a 120 Ohm resistor, then each device is tapped onto
the loop pair.  Makes for a very simple bus that can be
put on a board for less than $15 including PCB space,
connectors, etc.

With the software I'm using for the SX-50 CPU, I'm getting
reliable communication rates from 110 baud to 250k baud
at any rate so long as the rate stays consistent in each
frame sent.  The IRDA timing does cause a bit of problems
communicating to a PC, but I'm working on a bufferred
interface to translate between my RS-485/IRDA to standard
RS-232 at regular baud rates.

- --
Bryan Andersen
bryan at visi.com