DPRG: Austin robotics group

Subject: DPRG: Austin robotics group
From: Robert L. Jordan rljordan at airmail.net
Date: Fri Feb 12 17:24:50 CST 1999

- --------------DA095589E6682386BC242DCB

Brad,

Maybe you and Michael Gardner could get a contact going here at UT Dallas and DPRG could work togather to help them get a club going or growing and we could learn from them.

Several members of DPRG have expressed interest in taking some classes that meet at the continuing ed hours. You know, after work, Saturday, etc.

Michael,
Is there a club or a contact at UTD that would help build relations between DPRG, and discuss what robotic hobbiest could do to learn more.

Here are the classes I'd take.

1. Intorducion to programming and structured programming techniques

2. A BASIC class for the Basic Stamp 2 (PBasic)

3. A BASIC class for 68hc11 etc.

4. A hobbiest class on programming in C, C+, C++, Turbo C, etc.
Language C for free for me is best.(Shareware C) This would be productive and well attended.

Each class would have to teach demonostratable skills. How to code for, lights, sensors, motors, PWM, etc.

I want to come home from class and code some routine techniques taught at each class and then do a lab with a robot showing my coding success or goofs.

Just ideas! I'm a technical instructor at MCI Worldcom so I get excited about useful classes.

I'm developing an introduction to Robotics class to sell. It is aimed a beginners and I'm hoping to get income from the deliver and hands on demonstartions I give. There is a bunch of free curriculium out there just no where to go Do what is taught and discuss and learn it.

I need some more education. Know a direct way to do it.

Regards
Robert

Brad Garton wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:17:28 -0600, you wrote:
> Very Cool!.
> I think it would be a great thing to involve the MEs and EEs at UT. I
> did a robotics project for my senior lab project in EE464. Maybe we
> could help make it a regular thing there.  I understand Dean Niekirk
> is doing some very interesting things with his sensor research. Maybe
> we could get something going with the departments as well?
>
> Brad
> >Hello.
> >I just wanted to say that I think there would be a lot of interest in an "APRG". I organize a couple of robot teams for the IEEE branch at the University of Texas. Right now, we're working on building a couple of robots for the Fire Fighting contests. One is going to nationals and the other is going to the IEEE event in Shreveport. We have a full size maze so maybe when we get our robots finished those of you here in Austin who want to practice can come to the campus and use our maze. Anyway, the organization that I run is only a year and a half old and it is already getting very popular. I know if an APRG were to suddenly pop up I would definately be at the first meeting.  L8r4n0w.
> >
> >-Michael Gardner                       __   __
> > University of Texas IEEE             __I___I__
> > Special Projects Co-chair            [ | | | ]
> > gardner at ieee.org                       \_|_/
> > Special Projects Web Site               _|_
> > http://ieee.ece.utexas.edu/projects/
> ><< WARNING: New Site. Under Heavy Construction.>>

- --------------DA095589E6682386BC242DCB

<HTML>
<TT>Brad,</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Maybe you and Michael Gardner could get a contact going here at
UT Dallas and DPRG could work togather to help them get a club going or
growing and we could learn from them.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Several members of DPRG have expressed interest in taking some classes
that meet at the continuing ed hours. You know, after work, Saturday, etc.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Michael,</TT>
<BR><TT>Is there a club or a contact at UTD that would help build relations
between DPRG, and discuss what robotic hobbiest could do to learn more.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Here are the classes I'd take.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>1. Intorducion to programming and structured programming techniques</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>2. A BASIC class for the Basic Stamp 2 (PBasic)</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>3. A BASIC class for 68hc11 etc.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>4. A hobbiest class on programming in C, C+, C++, Turbo C, etc.</TT>
<BR><TT>Language C for free for me is best.(Shareware C) This would be
productive and well attended.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Each class would have to teach demonostratable skills. How to code
for, lights, sensors, motors, PWM, etc.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>I want to come home from class and code some routine techniques
taught at each class and then do a lab with a robot showing my coding success
or goofs.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Just ideas! I'm a technical instructor at MCI Worldcom so I get
excited about useful classes.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>I'm developing an introduction to Robotics class to sell. It is
aimed a beginners and I'm hoping to get income from the deliver and hands
on demonstartions I give. There is a bunch of free curriculium out there
just no where to go Do what is taught and discuss and learn it.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>I need some more education. Know a direct way to do it.</TT><TT></TT>

<P><TT>Regards</TT>
<BR><TT>Robert</TT>