DPRG: Trying to draw a simple schematic with Eagle PCB

Subject: DPRG: Trying to draw a simple schematic with Eagle PCB
From: Michael Kennan kennanm at efn.org
Date: Wed Feb 17 23:44:16 CST 1999

>So what do I do? I want to draw a schematic and do not need a pc board. Is
>it possible to copy packages to a new device within the same library or
>should I take some other approach?

Sadly, it looks like you need to create a device from scratch.

In the help file under 'Creating a Library Device', I found the following:

"Creating a new component part in a library has three steps. You must
follow these steps as they build upon each other.  To start, open a
library. Use the File menu Open or New command.

Create a Package

	Packages are the part of the device that are added to a board.
	Click the Edit Package icon and edit a new package by typing its name in
the New field of the dialog box.
	Set the proper distance GRID.
	NAME and place PADs properly.
	Add texts >NAME and >VALUE with the TEXT command (show actual name and
value in the board) and draw package outlines (WIRE command) in the proper
layers.

Create a Symbol

	Symbols are the part of the device that are added to a schematic.
	Click the Edit Symbol icon and edit a new symbol by typing its name in the
New field of the dialog box.
	Place and name pins with the commands PIN and NAME and provide pin
parameters (CHANGE).
	Add texts >NAME and >VALUE with the TEXT command (show actual name and
value in the schematic) and draw symbol outlines (WIRE command) in the
proper layers.

Create the Device

	Devices are the "master" part of a component and use both a package and
one or more symbols.
	Click the Edit Device icon and edit a new device by typing its name in the
New field of the dialog box.
	Assign the package with the PACKAGE command.
	Add the gate(s) with ADD, you can have as many gates as needed.
	Use CONNECT to specify which of the packages pads are connected to the
pins of each gate.
	Save the library and you can USE it from the schematic or board editor.  "

Unfortunately, the help file is slanted towards a keyboard approach, like
it must be the old help file from before they had the current GUI.  Every
time they give a command, there is an equivalent menu or button to do that
thing.

This 'feature', and the poor library access in general, tops my list of
peeves regarding Eagle.

Those peeves are usually nicely counterbalanced, however, by the price
tag... ;)

Michael