DPRG: Re: laser weapons

Subject: DPRG: Re: laser weapons
From: Robert L. Jordan rljordan at airmail.net
Date: Wed Mar 3 17:54:17 CST 1999

David,
Interesting study. Looks like the sunlight would have to be restriced to
passing thru an apature the same diamater as the laser pointers beam
diameter to be even a close comparison. Photocells average light as well
as being more sesitive to certain teperature or colors. At MCI we use
several lasers. Even the same "power" lasers have different effects in
the same media as "transparancy' varies at different wave lengths. That
is why we use "invisiable' laser on the fiber as it will go about 5-15
miles in a fiber with 4-5 splices and still be readable. The visiable
test laser you can see works much less distance.

You might put SMU on you email and ask Monseto, Perrilli (Photonic
repeater Mfgr), etc. I bet they would have info. Write the question up
so it has the technical phrasing to be specific and I'll pass it around
work. Might find some iteresting answers.

I have access to fiber, test lasers, some cute demos, fiber magnifyer,
etc. if we need a show and tell sometime.
Regards
Robert Jordan