DPRG: Re: Great Contest!

Subject: DPRG: Re: Great Contest!
From: Dan Miner miner at centtech.com
Date: Mon Mar 8 16:41:51 CST 1999

> From: David Philip Anderson [mailto:dpa at io.isem.smu.edu]
>
> Howdy DPRG,
>
> Fun contest!  Lots of new entries, I am especially impressed
> to see kids
> showing up with their mind-storms, this is greatly to be encouraged!

Well, I don't think I count as a "kid", but I'll take that as
a compliment.  :-)  :-)  Seriously, I couldn't agree more.
I'm going to try to get my daughters into it more than they
are (but they are only 5 and 7 - it may take some time).

> I don't know the stats, but it seems like we had more robots actually
> complete the course this time than previously, and lots of excitement.
> Well run, much shorter than last year (1:30 vs 3:00+),
> congrats all around.

This was my first meeting and contest but I was impressed with
the whole thing.  Very well run.  Ed and helpers all deserve a
very hearty "Well Done!".  If/when we ever get the Austin chapter
going, we will have a high standard to try to match.

> Howabout we pre-print a stack of certificates before the contest, of
> two varieties.  #1, the "I built a robot and was actually brave enough
> to show up for the contest with it" award, to be given to everyone who
> enters, and #2, the "DPRG Hall of Fame, my robot completed the course"
> award for each robot that finishes the course, no matter how
> they place.
> Then we can make fancier awards for the actual contest
> winners later, if that's desired.

Since this is my first contest and I did win an event, I was
wondering, are there any planned certificates / awards?
If there is, I will be happy to wait until the next meeting (or
whenever) but DPA has a VERY good point about younger contestants.
Preprinted awards with penned in names would surely add to
the smile factor.

				- Dan Miner