DPRG: Sonar Reflections

Subject: DPRG: Sonar Reflections
From: tyce at ix.netcom.com tyce at ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat Mar 13 01:48:53 CST 1999

	Multipath should not be a problem. In time of arrival ranging systems
like sonar, radar and lidar (ir) simple detectors (simple or no modulation)
will return the first (shortest) range.
	The contest walls should be near perfect sonar reflectors. Therefore
the transducer will have to be pointed at the wall to within half it's
beamwidth (about 15 or 20 degrees), unless there is a seam, bracket or
corner to reflect off.
	The agc (automatic gain control) on the polaroid sonar board is pretty
simple. It blanks, then ramps the gain up to max. If I recall correctly,
there is no capture function (ramp resets each range). A more complex agc
could cause problems in a cluttered environment. The simple agc should
return the first range in the beamwidth with a large enough reflection to
trigger the threshold.
	The sonar board I have leaves the timing and calculation of the range
delay up to an external processor. If the cpu does not implement a more
sophisticated method than just averaging the data, the range may seem
unstable when in reality the ranges are clustered in several tight groups
(and maybe a few fliers). The wide beamwidth of these transducers
exacerbates the phenomena.
	The board I have (from the first engineering kit) will allow the
processor to reset the detectors flip flop, allowing multiple measurements
per range pulse. Under the kitchen table makes a perfect test range.

Tyce Elkins