DPRG: Nestea Walker at the Atlanta Hobby Club

Subject: DPRG: Nestea Walker at the Atlanta Hobby Club
From: C. Barry Ward cbward at idea-vision.com
Date: Sun Mar 14 06:44:58 CST 1999

Hey DPRGers
                Since Calvin isn't here to defend himself (I'm sure he will
clarify (and possibly kick me) later..) I'll try to explain the Calvin Grier
Nestea Walker..

It is the result of some conversations that Cal had regarding just how
simple you could make a two legged walker.

The name Nestea is from the "body" of the bot, made from the plastic tops of
Nestea Instant Tea jars. (green in photos)

It has three servos. Two leg servos move the legs vertically (toward and
away from the body) The third servo is inside of the body and rotates the
Nestea caps. This causes opposing leg movement (one goes forward, one goes
backward)

The control comes from a laptop with an XL table of values for servo
positions. A QBasic program cranks the values out of the servo port and a
serial to servo board in the bots body drives the servos.

I've seen it walk several steps, but since Cal hasn't gone the last step and
moved the control inside the body with a PIC or other processor, the welding
cables that connect it to the laptop eventually pull the delicately balanced
beast over.....

other minute details:
The legs are made from DIP IC tubes.
The legs glide on the little ball bearings used in kitchen drawer slides.
The feet are brackets from Home Depot with 9V batteries for ballast.

disclaimer:
The names used in the above story are the property of their respective
owners.  To the best of my knowledge Nestea does not endorse the use of
their products or packaging in amateur robotics.

C. Barry  Ward  (speaking for Cal, without his permission)
cbward at idea-vision.com

Atlanta Hobby Robot Club
http://www.botlanta.org
(check out the 3/5/99 Web Page Update!)