DPRG: IR

Subject: DPRG: IR
From: john.r.strohm at bix.com john.r.strohm at bix.com
Date: Sun Mar 14 09:10:01 CST 1999

>I picked up some IR LED/detector pairs at Tanner's today. Do I need to
>hook them up to an oscillator? I've heard of some complex stuff with
>IR LED's, but is it necessary for simple applications? I'm mainly
>interested in line following and perhaps close proximity detection
>(on/off).

If you don't use an oscillator/PLL detector pair, you have to shield them
>from ambient light, especially incandescent bulbs.  If you don't, the stray
IR from the incandescent bulb will swamp the photodetector.

I discovered this about 20 years ago.

This MAY not be a problem in a commercial space illuminated by Cool White
fluorescents.  It will probably be a problem in a home space illuminated by
GE 60W bulbs.