DPRG: sony dog bog?

Subject: DPRG: sony dog bog?
From: Jeremy Hinkle jchinkle at optelnow.net
Date: Thu Mar 25 21:35:24 CST 1999

That thing looks impressive... any ideas on how they get 3 degrees of motion
on the appendages?

In one of the Quicktimes, the robot falls over on its side... then a few
moments later, gets itself back up.  I imagine that all these "motions" have
been pre-recorded, and programmed into the robot just for the purpose of the
demonstration... I doubt the robot comes up with that by itself, nor has all
those stored in it at one time.

One interesting point about this robot, is it's modular form, Sony claims it
is plug and play.  They can take pieces off it and add others, and thru a
high speed serial bus, the main processor can detect the new "module" and
retrieve information about it's mobility, size, etc. and the processor can
automatically compensate for the changes.  Very interesting.  (One of the
advantages of having a million dollar budget :)

Jeremy Hinkle
jchinkle at optelnow.net