DPRG: why not 2pm - 4pm?

Subject: DPRG: why not 2pm - 4pm?
From: Jim Brown jgbrown at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Wed Mar 31 15:17:56 CST 1999

> DPRGers,
>
> I'm sure we have good reasons to hold the DPRG meeting from noon to
> 2pm, but I thought I'd ask anyway...
>
> Why not make the monthly DPRG meetings go from 2:00pm to 4:00pm, or
> even 1:00pm to 3:00pm?  I have a hard time getting to noon meetings on
> Saturdays, due to family obligations and distance (I live in
> Burleson).  Also, noon to 2pm is smack-dab in the middle of lunch
> time.  Does everyone else eat before the meeting, or just have a 2:30
> or 3pm late lunch instead?

Well, since I got it changed to begin with years ago, I'll
give my 1/50th of a dollar...

Before I got it changed we used to meet at the Infomart.
The sale down there ran until about 12pm then it would shut
down.  Back then, the best room time we could get was at
2pm to 4pm.  That means we had to mill around for a couple
of hours after the sale to then get into our room.  There
were several that complained and promised that if we moved
the time to 12pm, then they would start coming to the
meetings since they were so inconvenient for them and
made them waste the whole Saturday.  Well, I bugged the
DFW-Xchange guys and they let us have from 12pm to 2pm.
We were so happy! People started coming to the meetings!
They grew from 5 to 35 in no time!  Then, just last November,
we moved to BPI.  Now I don't know if 12pm still makes
sense for everyone, but it's a great time if you ask me.
It allows me to go to the first saturday sale until about
11:30 or so (plenty of scavanging time), I grab a bite
and then I can hop over to the dprg meeting at 12pm.  If
it were at 2pm, we'd run into the same problem we had
before where we would have to mill around for a couple of
hours, and people like me would probably just go home and
it would be too far to come back.  Really, if we planned
to go to the 1st saturday sale in the morning and then
had to wait until 4pm before it was over, that would be
really bad.  As it is, right now, I many times don't get
back home until after 5pm.  If we pushed it back two hours
I wouldn't get home until after 7pm!

That's my 0.02 cents.

    \/\_\@ ____   /  /\ __  ___          ___  jim.brown at usa.alcatel.com
    / //\ / / /\ /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\ brownjim at airmail.net