DPRG: Answers from Experts

Subject: DPRG: Answers from Experts
From: DP w008403 at airmail.net
Date: Wed Nov 3 04:27:40 CST 1999

At 02:07 PM 11/2/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Howdy
>

>This is extremely cool!  It's really fascinating to see the environment
>materialize as the robot explores its space.  I want one!
>
>dpa

The platform is the Urban robot, a research vehicle made by IS Robotics for
the military. I've seen picks of this in mid air (guess it ran off a dock)
and have a movie of it being "deployed" by a soldier. He's trying to throw
it into a second story window and misses. The robot bounces and continues
in through the front door. Check :
http://www.isr.com/research/urban.html
The yellow sensor on top of the Mercator project appears to be a Sick Optic
PLS proximity laser scanner. Check :
http://www.sickoptic.com/
But I think the mapping is actually done based on the Urbans sonars (4
front, 2 on each side, rear?). Unfortunately nobody lists prices or
availability. :( Probably on the order of a home mortgage though.

David Peterson

mailto:w008403 at airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/horizon/9664