DPRG: Re: dprglist #798

Subject: DPRG: Re: dprglist #798
From: David Philip Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue Nov 9 16:08:45 CST 1999

Howdy

RF links:

> I was just over on Linx, and found that they have transmitter / receiver
> pairs which they claim have > 300 feet and > 800 feet range.
>
> http://www.linxtechnologies.com/

I use the Linx Technologies RM series transmitter/receiver pair for a
telemetry back channel on my current robot, with a small 1/4 wave external
antenna on both ends.  I can get fairly dependable one way communication
at 2400 baud out to about 50 meters indoors without error correction.  I've
never tried it outdoors.

Contest barrier:

> I agree with what Clay said at the last meeting.  Our current
> barrier to entry to too big for many people that want to get
> started in robotics.  Think of the typical 10 year old.

This was not true of the previous RoboFest events before the Quick-Trip
contest was eliminated.  That was the beauty of that event: just get
>from one end of the room to the other and back.  It's hard to imagine
a robot which functions at all that could not compete in such an event.
Why was it removed?

dpa