DPRG: Re: dprglist #798

Subject: DPRG: Re: dprglist #798
From: Ed Koffeman koffeman at airmail.net
Date: Tue Nov 9 16:48:10 CST 1999

Q:
> Why was it removed?

A:
> It's hard to imagine
> a robot which functions at all that could not compete in such an event.

<grin>

Partly it was to avoid having to re-arrange the walls, partly to at least
get robots thet could turn left and right as a minimum amount of
demonstrated skill, and partly to avoid a 4th event.

The key change that was made was to separate the line-following from the
non-line-following event.

I don't have any objection to restoring a Quick Trip, as long as there is no
line following for it.  I would also recommend a rule that says the robot
has to execute a minimum of 160 or 170 degrees of turn in total, to
eliminate robots that just go straight and back - I really think those are
below the intelligent behavior threshold we'd be looking for.

Ed K.