DPRG: Linx RF Modules

Subject: DPRG: Linx RF Modules
From: Matt Minnis mminnis at prefres.com
Date: Wed Nov 10 09:39:53 CST 1999

I have the HPII which is the 900Mhz version of the modules.
I also modified the board to allow bi-directional transfer between robot
and PC.
I use them at 38,400 baud, and get a good communication back and forth
between PC & Robot.

The only problem I had with them was the lack of error detection/correction.

I have not tested the range, but I have gotten at least 100' out of mine.

I haven't used them in a while due to other problems I am having with my robot.

Thanks,

Matt Minnis

At 09:09 AM 11/10/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>It seems that at least two people responded that one must have
>purchased an evaluation kit. Well, $139 is not a lot of money, and I
>can understand their position. The evaluation kit comes with 2
>xmitters, 2 rcvrs, 2 antennas, two evaluation boards, 1 each manual for
>xmitter and for rcvr, Part 15 Guidelines, and tech support. That sounds
>like a lot for $139. The transmitters, receivers, and antennas alone go
>for $44.80. The evaluation boards are probably worth at least $10 each,
>bringing just the hardware (not counting manuals and tech. suppt.) to
>$64.80.
>
>Also, at least two responded that they had used the modules and found
>that they work as advertised, at least for range. One said that he had
>gotten them through a prof, another said that he used them on one of
>his current 'bots. Perhaps the latter has bought a kit, and we could
>get them through him.
>
>If not, let's consider a group buy. If 10 people join in, then the
>eval. kit costs us $14 each. We let one of us play with it for 2 weeks
>to see whether we can actually get the performance they claim, and
>satisfy ethics, then go for another buy of the modules.
>
>I'm somewhat nonplussed by the statement made by one that one can only
>get up to 300 baud. They *claim* a direct serial interface, and up to
>5Kbps for the inexpensive ($5.60xmit,$11.80rcv) set.
>
>The 300 foot range looks ideal for my application.
>
>Mike
>----
>char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>I do not speak for Alcatel. <- They make me say that.
>This message made from 100% recycled bits.

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475		       mminnis at prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141