DPRG: something to chew on. alternate use for chips

Subject: DPRG: something to chew on. alternate use for chips
From: Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Date: Wed Nov 24 10:23:48 CST 1999

cbrenizer wrote:

> i thought i'd found a perfect robotics chip.  but the 132 pin package makes
> it less of a hobby chip than others.
>
> the National system controller chip ns32fx100 is designed for embedded use
> in fax machines.  it features an interface for two stepper motors, a CCD
> scanner, UART, interrupts, 37 i/o pins, memory, timer, touch-tone, etc....
>
> it does bring to mind the possibilities of fax/printer/other support chips
> that would work perfectly well in robotic systems.

In doing robotics chip research, I found a number of chips from ST
Electronics that used a common CPU core and a variety of I/O. One of the
most impressive had 30-someodd PWM outputs and was designed for use in
digitally controlled video monitors. They also make a number of
processors with built-in CAN bus and high current H-bridges for use as
intelligent controllers for automotive devices like power windows and
locks, etc...

Robert

- --

Robert Singleton

Lord Robert of Slugglen
House Mac An Ghabhann
Canton of Loch Ruadh
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Planet Earth
The Sol System
The Milky Way
Universe Unspecified

We've all heard that a million monkeys, banging on a million
typewriters,
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now,thanks to
the Internet, we know that this is not true.

						---Robert Wilensky