DPRG List  

DPRG: Re: H-Bridge Utilization

Subject: DPRG: Re: H-Bridge Utilization
From: Jim Brown brownjim at airmail.net
Date: Tue Sep 14 02:53:59 CDT 1999

At 04:01 PM 9/13/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Jim, my name is Joey and I am encountering a project which will require 
>the use of an H-Bridge like mechanism. I am the Master Electrician for the 
>theater department at my High School and for our upcoming show, I want to 
>utilize motors in order to make parts of the set move. The play is a greek 
>comedy called "The Birds", and I was wanting to have wooden birds pop out of 
>the set. The basic idea is that the bird in question would sit on a light 
>wooden board, that had been notched on the bottom. As a motor below this 
>board turned, the board would move. I think I will need an H-Bridge in order 
>to allow the motor to go forwards and backwards, but I don't know much about 
>them. Where can I get one, or do I have to make one? Are they expensive to 
>buy? What Amp rating does it need to be in order to power 1-3 motors about 
>the size of a fist?
>I appreciate any help or suggestions you can give. Thank you immensely for 
>your time.
>-Joey Miller-Condensa

If you're planning on controlling it manually then just use a
DPDT switch to let you swith direction.

If you plan to use a computer
to control it, let me suggest you switch your idea to RC servo motors.
You can control them with a parallel port and a basic program.  You
can get them at about any torque rating you have money for.  A regular
rc servo is about $12 - $15 each and it can sweep about 120 degrees.  Great
for popping birds out of the set.  You can eiether figure out your
own schematic or get a serial servo controller for about $40 or so
>from scott edwards electronics that can control 8 servos or a servo 
controller chip from ferrettronics that can control 5.  If you're
looking for an easy way to go, get the Scott Edwards servo controller
and 8 servos, and write a basic program to talk to the serial port
to control the servos.

If you're just looking for an h-bridge chip, there's several types out
there.  The LMD18200 can control motors at about 2-3 amps.
The L298 can control two motors at about 1-2 amps each (about
the size of something smaller than a coke can.)  You can get the
specs for the L298 at http://www.st.com .

I hope this helps.

- - - ____ - - - - - - ___ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    \/\_\@  ____    /  /\ __  ___          ___    http://www.dprg.org 
    / / /\ / / /\  /--/ //\_\/\_/\ /\/\/\ /\_/\  brownjim at airmail.net
/__/ / / // / / / /__/ // / /__/ //_/_/ // // /  (972)495-3821
\__\/  \/ \/\/\/  \__\/ \/  \__\/ \_\_\/ \/ \/ james_121 at yahoo.com
jim_brown at bigfoot.com jbrown at dprg.org http://www.cyberramp.net/~jbrown
Cole's Law:  Thinly Shreaded Cabbage


More information about the DPRG mailing list