DPRG: The Rossum Project

Subject: DPRG: The Rossum Project
From: andy cordell acordell1 at hotmail.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 00:09:34 CDT 1999

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF03B4.D204F4C0

Have any of you all visited this site? =20
 http://www.connix.com/~gwlucas/

This guy is trying to start a GNU-like public domain set of robot =
software.  The java based simulator he has put together so far is nice, =
and it's set up with a client-server architecture that looks ideal for =
building a non-java based clients.  =20
=20
One thing I'd like to do is build a small 68hc11 based robot with an =
infared serial link to the PC.   The serial link would replace the =
TCP/IP connection Gary's robot (the server) communicates with.    The =
server (robot) sends events such as bumper hit, wall ahead, encoder =
counts, and the client (brain and/or simulator) sends requests: go left, =
reset encoders, etc.    With such a setup, you'd have limited range, but =
unlimited computing power.  You could also do all of your client =
software with the simulator and work out all the bugs quickly.

Gary has had many downloads, but little help from the hobby robotics =
world.
I imagine that we would all make rapid progress if we'd all stop =
re-inventing the wheel...

Check it out!
Andy Cordell
acordell1 at hotmail.com
McKinney TX.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF03B4.D204F4C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Have any of you&nbsp;all visited this=20
site?&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.connix.com/~gwlucas/">http://www.connix.com/~gwlucas/<=
/A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This guy is trying to start a GNU-like public domain =
set of=20
robot software.&nbsp; The java based simulator he&nbsp;has put together =
so far=20
is nice, and it's set up with a client-server architecture that looks =
ideal for=20
building a non-java based clients.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One thing I'd like to do is build a small 68hc11 =
based robot=20
with an infared serial link to the PC.&nbsp;&nbsp; The serial link would =
replace=20
the TCP/IP connection Gary's robot (the server) communicates=20
with.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The server (robot) sends events such as bumper =
hit, wall=20
ahead, encoder counts, and the client (brain and/or simulator) sends =
requests:=20
go left, reset encoders, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; With such a setup, you'd =
have=20
limited range, but unlimited computing power.&nbsp; You could also do =
all of=20
your client software with the simulator and work out all the bugs=20
quickly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Gary has had many downloads, but little help from =
the hobby=20
robotics world.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I imagine that we would all make rapid progress if =
we'd all=20
stop re-inventing the wheel...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Check it out!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andy Cordell</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:acordell1 at hotmail.com">acordell1 at hotmail.com</A></FONT></D=

<DIV><FONT size=3D2>McKinney TX.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF03B4.D204F4C0--