DPRG: PWM using L298 boards and DC Gear Motors

Subject: DPRG: PWM using L298 boards and DC Gear Motors
From: Brad Garton b_garton at qlc.com
Date: Thu Sep 23 17:17:35 CDT 1999

I am moving from a stepper application to a PWM controlled DC motor using
the L298

How are people using the 298 in this application?
I assumed I would use half of a L298 for each of two motors.
Then run one I/O from the processor to In1, and invert this signal and run
it to In2
(later I would use 2 separate I/O pins to get the Fast Motor Stop feature.
This I/O pin then serves as a direction control H=forward L=reverse
I would tie the PWM signal to the Enable line.
This would be the speed control. Output = L, no movement. H=Max Speed

Anyone using the L298 the same way? Any problems?

bg