DPRG: RoboRama 99b

Subject: DPRG: RoboRama 99b
From: Eric Yundt eric at facetcorp.com
Date: Thu Sep 23 23:32:25 CDT 1999

Brad,

Brad Garton wrote:

> Not that I'm assuming to have a robot working by this time (it WILL be
> close!)
> But the points for CAN CAN are 10/15 for Recognizes Can - per can and 10/15
> for
> brings cans home. (per can not listed) Here's my questions:
> 	What gets 10 points and what gets 15 points?
> 	IF I get all 6 cans identified do I get 10/15 total or 60/90 total?
> 	If I bring them all home do I get 10/15 total or 60/90 total?
>
> If I do a perfect job is this worth 180 points? for these two sections
>
> Is the max point allocation then, 305 points?

I don't know that we have an "official" Contest Committee
put together for this RoboRama.99b ... yet, perhaps we can
bribe/coerce/offer-the-opportunity-to a few brave souls in
time to make rulings about things like this and actually
pull this thing off.  ;-)

But, the original intent of the CAN CAN scoring system was
described in the T-TIME rules of RoboRama.97b:

	http://www.dprg.org/RoboRama97b.html

Later the CAN CAN was broken out of T-TIME to be a seperate
event of its own.  The "Count Cans" and "Collect Cans" scores
were classified as a "HOW MANY" score versus "DONE THAT" and
"VARIABLE" scores:

	HOW MANY scores are awarded in full each time
	specified tasks are accomplished.

	DONE THAT scores are awarded in full if objective
	is accomplished.

	VARIABLE scores are awarded from zero to full scale
	based upon how well an objective or ideal is met in
	the judges opinion.

  Recognize / Count Cans (each)

    In Soda Can courses these points are awarded for each Soda Can
    noticed by the Robot.  "Noticed" is defined as a Soda Can being
    detected by the Robot and may be indicated by an audio/visual signal
    at the Soda Can "site".  Points are only awarded for a given can
    once -- no additional points for noticing the same Soda Can multiple
    times.  Full points are awarded for each Soda Can "noticed" and half
    (1/2) points additional for each noticed Soda Can if every Soda Can
    gets noticed.  For example, if in a 3 Soda Can course, 2 out of 3
    Soda Cans are noticed, then award:  ( 2 * points ), if every Soda
    Can is noticed, then the Robot is awarded:

        ( 3 * points ) + ( 3 * points / 2 )

  Collect / Bring Cans Home (each)

    In Soda Can courses these points are awarded for each Soda Can
    collected and brought into the FINISH AREA.  Soda Cans may be
    "collected" by any non-destructive means, like pushing, pulling or
    carrying the Soda Can.  Slightly denting the Soda Can is OK, but
    destructive collection like puncturing or smashing is not OK.  Full
    points are awarded for each Soda Can brought home and half (1/2)
    points additional for each Soda Can brought home if every Soda Can
    is brought home.  For example, if in a 3 Soda Can course, 2 out
    of 3 Soda Cans are brought home, award:  ( 2 * points ), if every
    Soda Can is brought home, then the Robot is awarded:

        ( 3 * points ) + ( 3 * points / 2 )

So with can points at 10 per, in a 6 Soda Can course, you would get
60 points (6 * 10 points) for recognizing the 6 cans PLUS an additional
5 points per can (30 points) as a bonus for recognizing ALL cans.

	( 6 * 10 points ) + ( 6 * 5 points ) = 90 points

So I think the answer to your questions are, "yes" and "yes".

> bg

I think so, unless someone soon has something to change/improve.

> 2) Will the contest arena be the same?  Black carpet, white walls?
> If not, what will the arena be?  I need to know so I can begin to
> tune my sensors.

Yes, I think so.

> 3) We should get the rules for Sticks I, II, III defined ASAP.
> If noone else has any ideas, I propose that:
> Sticks I = Line following for legged robots
> Sticks II = T-Time for legged robots
> Sticks III (undefined - used in the future)
>
> 				- Dan Miner

I think they were originally(?) envisioned something like this:

                                               +- - - -+
    STICKS I (STEPPIN' OUT)                 2'+|  ...  |
                                               |-:---:-|
        Walking a MINI QUICK TRIP course.      | :   : |
                                            4' | :   : | 8'
                                               | :   : |
                                               |-:---:-|
                                            2'+|     : |
                                               +- - - -+
                                                   4'

    STICKS II (UP, UP, AND AWAY)                 3'
                                               +--:--+
        Walking an adjustable ramp.            |  :  |
                                             3'|  :  |
              RISE   RUN                       |--:--|
                                             2'|  :  | 8'
        UP1:    6" / 36"                       |--:--|
        UP2:   12" / 36"                     3'|  :  |
        UP3:   18" / 36"                       |  :  |
                                               +--:--+
                                                  :
                                    24"
                          __------------------__
              36"   __--''  |18"             |  ''--__   36"

    STICKS III (HURDLES)

    STICKS IV  (STEP-UP)

    . . .

I'll join the Contest Committe for RoboRama.2000a and will race
you up the ramp.   ;-)

- --
Eric