[DPRG] Re: New to robotics

Subject: [DPRG] Re: New to robotics
From: Jim Brown james_121 at yahoo.com
Date: Tue Aug 8 19:30:05 CDT 2000

--- Marty Vulk <mastervulk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Jim,
> I'm have recently begun working on robotics (Jan. of
> this year).  I was excited to find the DPRG because I
> live North of Fort Worth in North Richland Hills.  I
> see that there is a RoboRama coming up in September.
>
> Is the competition open to members only?

nope.  Please come and join us.

> When do you start new members?

anytime

> Is the membership due at the beginning of the year?

I don't think so

> Do you have members studying BEAM?

Probably, but most are home made stuff of their
own design.  I don't know of anyone studying
BEAM stuff in our group.

> Do you have anyone experienced with nitinol?

nope (at least not that I know of).  It doesn't
really have the strength needed, it uses too much
power and the cycle time is too slow.  There used
to be a robot bug kit named stiquito or something
like that, but it couldn't carry a cpu (it had
to have tethered control because it was so weak) it was
terribly slow and inefficient.  I think eventually
they stopped selling them.  Until nitinol wire
becomes more efficient, I don't think you'll see
anyone using it as a drive system for a robot.

> I'm not confident that I can have an entry ready by
> Sep. but competitions is always a great motivator.

yep.  Prize money's a great motivator too!

=====
Jim Brown      james_121 at yahoo.com

jimgbrown at home.com http://members.home.net/jimgbrown
jim_brown at adc.com jbrown at dprg.org  http://www.dprg.org