[DPRG] Re: Contest Course ideas from RPL

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Contest Course ideas from RPL
From: David P. Anderson dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Fri Aug 11 15:26:32 CDT 2000

Howdy DPRG

DPRG President Clay Timmons <ctimmons at cadence.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Lesson learned - don't bother appointing a
> comittee.   Committes rarely get together and
> get things done.  Instead just schedule an RPL
> for resolving the issue.   With nearly a dozen
> people working on the problem right then
> and there things get accomplished.

this is wisdom, oh fearless leader.

> Some of the major design goals -
>
> Modular design -  interchangeable
> walls and floor panels.   Like legos the
> course can easily be re-configured to
> straight, T-shaped,  or other more complex
> shapes.
>
> Portable -  the whole course should fit
> in the back of a pickup truck.   And be light
> enough for people carry the pieces.
>
> The modular sections will be 4' x 4'.  This would
> allow us to build a 1/2 scale T-shaped course for
> around $300.   A full scale course requires 4 times
> the materials (not twice) which would cost
> perhaps $1200.

Seems like this is a description of the course we already
have.  The foam board is in 4' sections, light weight,
easily reconfigurable, fits in the back of a pickup.
Why build a new one?  Or is this mainly for a new floor?

> The half size course is nice
> because it matches the size of David Anderson's
> portable low cost cardboard course.

cool!

> We didn't talk much about the floor however
> high quality thin plywood was recommened by
> Barry Jordan.

Seems to me that it needs to be something we can walk around on.

> For RoboRama 2000b we will be using the old
> course.   In the future with the propsed new
> 1/2 scale course we would have all the same
> events.   Some things in the rules may need
> to scale down like the 1' can to wall spacing
> changes to 6" can to wall spacing.

We can set up the portable cardboard course at the contest
if anyone wants to run in the 1/2 size space, and on the marble
museum floor.

dpa