[DPRG] Re: Contest Course ideas from RPL

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Contest Course ideas from RPL
From: Robert L. Jordan rljordan at airmail.net
Date: Sat Aug 12 20:14:31 CDT 2000

David,

Size:
My vote for the contest area size is 1/2 of the present arena, or 12 foot long by 8 foot wide.

Floors:
The modular 4' by 4' floors should work OK for a 12 by 8 for course and be easy to repair or replace. This would make is easier to keep the flooring in good shape as we go along. The course floor we have been using is hard to repair - carpet creased in the middle and frayed and damaged edges.

I like concrete for the floor. Also, this is approaching more or the real world where robots will eventually need to operate anyway.

Perhaps use concrete floors, or Science place floor, for most contests and do the line following on an 8 foot folding table, brown top with light colored (masking) tape.

Walls:
The walls we have talked about could be setup without the flooring we have talked about, so use of any of the new designs should allow using them at the contest. Hopefully we decide to build walls that are also quick to assemble. (Remember I like the strap hinges as "pinned" connectors on butt joints.)

Table Top Arenas:
In addition to the 1/2 sized contest arena, I think we should have folding tables at each meeting for displaying all robots on. Also, I think we should have one table with short walls around it for testing and demonstration. Every time I bring one of my tables, it is well utilized.  This would get more hands on time and interaction going at the meetings.

<Snip>
I've been able to get SR04's line-following mechanism to work fine
on a standard concrete floor following standard 1/2 inch masking tape.
So I'm not convinced that a black-black floor with white-white tape
(or vice-versa) is necessary for elementary line following.
<Snip>
Good to hear that this works. That makes preparation and testing at home and at the BPI easier.

I'm enjoying the conversation on the contest arena. This could help us all work through the options and get a good, long term, arrangement going for the club contests and testing during the meetings.

Regards,
Robert L. Jordan