[DPRG] Contest Course

Subject: [DPRG] Contest Course
From: Ralph Tenny rten at metronet.com
Date: Sat Aug 19 10:25:23 CDT 2000

See ### comments.
Ralph

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, David P. Anderson wrote:

> For those who are not familiar with the course, it is made of 10 sections
> of foam board laminate each 8' x 13" x 1/2".  These are held together
> with metal clips and duct-tape.  Metal shelf angle brackets
> attached to short sections of wooden 2x4 are taped to the walls at
> every 48 inches to act as supports for the walls.  These are always
> getting kicked by curious onlookers.  The course sets up in the shape
> of a "T" 24x16 feet with an 8 foot width.
>
> It is the "long wall" where three 8 foot sections are connected end-to-
> end that sags and pulls out of alignment without additional supports.
>

>          +----------+----------+-----------+

snip

### As an interim fix for the upcoming RoBoRama, how about aluminum angle
strips that bolt to the long side walls? These are not terribly expensive
in the 1/2" x 1/2" x 12-foot (10-foot?) size, and could quickly tie the
long wall sections into rigid units. If this supporting strip were to wrap
around the end sections, the entire wall sections would be tied into a
self-supporting box.

What am I overlooking?

If this would work to get us through the next contest, we have a LOT of
time to design a better solution. After I saw how the fire-fighting course
came out, I KNOW our group can do this right! Let's just get past the
upcoming RoBoRama.
Ralph

snip