[DPRG] Serial port programming question

Subject: [DPRG] Serial port programming question
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Mon Aug 21 11:05:52 CDT 2000

On 18 Aug 2000 Ferialb at www.dci.co.ir wrote:

> CT>I'm using Borland C/C++ on a laptop
> CT>and have a serial port programming question.
>
> Which version? I used to use Borland C++ 3.1 (for DOS) and
> I use _bios_serialcom() or bioscom() functions to work with
> serial port. They are much easier to work with.

I found them to be completely useless. There were two problems with
them:

First, when I wanted to send a character, the BIOS routines assert RTS,
wait for CTS, send the character, then deassert RTS. They do NOT allow
one full control of RTS, which I needed.

Second, they have no way of doing timed reads and writes, which I also
needed (though I could have built wrappers around them to handle what I
needed).

Mike