[DPRG] Hamamatsu P5587

Subject: [DPRG] Hamamatsu P5587
From: Sanjay Agrawal sanjaya at home.com
Date: Mon Aug 28 22:31:10 CDT 2000

I have yet another question.  I want to add Hamamatsu P5587s to my servo
motors to act as encoders, as outlined in the Mobile Robots book.  But
the leads are *very* delicate and break easily.  I'm also afraid that
the heat from soldering thicker leads onto them will result in damage to
the circuitry.  There are 2 pins on one side, and 3 on the other, so I
can't mount it in a socket.  In the book, the picture shows wires
directly connected to the pins, but it's unclear how.  What have you
found is the best way to connect/mount a P5587?