[DPRG] Muscle Wire robot

Subject: [DPRG] Muscle Wire robot
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Wed Jul 5 09:45:55 CDT 2000

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, David P. Anderson wrote:

> Howdy
>
> Dan Miner wrote:
>
> > The only DPRG robot builder to create a _real_ Can-Can
> > robot wrote:
>
> (blush)
> (paraphrasing: "legged robots harder to make then wheeled")
>
>  <snip>
>
> > Generally, I agree with all of dpa's comments <snip>
>
> > I'll also offer a counter argument: In the millions of
> > years of evolution, no creature (that I know of) has
> > ever evolved wheels.  :-)
>
> Not totally true.  Anthropologists define culture as the

Not even true. Well, depending on how you define 'wheel'. There are
creatures which have purely rotating members which are cylinders. I
don't mean like our arms. They have a very nice range of motion, but
one cannot stick his arms out at right angles to his body, and rotate
them around their axed through 360 degree + rotation. Apparently, many
of the single-celled creatures which have "flagella" do not actually
have flagella. They have corkscrew shaped appendages which apprear to
"wiggle" because they actually *rotate*.

Um, another reason what you wrote is correct, however, is that no
creature ever evolved, anyway. But that is a different conversation,
probably.

[snip]