[DPRG] Rocket Guy

Subject: [DPRG] Rocket Guy
From: John Alway jalway at icsi.net
Date: Thu Jul 6 10:37:00 CDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
To: jalway at icsi.net <jalway at icsi.net>; dprglist at dprg.org <dprglist at dprg.org>
Date: Thursday, July 06, 2000 5:31 AM
Subject: Re: [DPRG] Rockey Guy

>I'm not a rocket scientist and I don't play one on TV :) but didn't
>the Apollo capsules have an escape feature? that short tower with
>small rockets on top to permit the astronauts to be whisked away
>if a serious problem occurred during the launch? Would the Rocket
>Guy's setup be any different than this?

    I don't know, but you probably can ask him.  I did email him in support
of his project, and he thanked me.

   The Space Shuttle that blew up (Columbia?) didn't have an escape hatch,
which probably cost the lives of the crew.

>Actually, I think the most serious problem with this planned
>event is whether he has approval for what he plans to do.

   I fear you are right, as usual, big brother gets in the way.  Not to say
there aren't legitimate concerns, just that they really get in the way big
these days.

>Will
>local, state, and federal authorities permit him to do this?
>Does he have permission to use the airspace? -- would he take out
>various aircraft on the way up? Is he permitted to store volatile
>chemicals/fuel? Even though he only plans for 30 miles, could his launch be
>detected and mistaken as something else? -- perhaps
>he could become a test subject in the anti-missile defense
>system that is being developed and tested right now :) How far
>away is his launch site from civilization? Will he be able to keep
>spectator's safely away from the launch site?

    Lots of good questions.   I'm hoping he does it and succeeds
beautifully.  These are the kind of people I like.  Dreamers and doers.

   ...John