[DPRG] Servo Hiccup

Subject: [DPRG] Servo Hiccup
From: Sanjay Agrawal sagrawal at arrirs04.uta.edu
Date: Tue Jul 25 16:16:30 CDT 2000

I need some help.  I've got a six servos that I've modified for continuous rotation.  Two are Parallax servos that came with a BOE-bot kit, 3 are MPI MX-400s that I got from Acroname, and 1 is a Futaba S3003.

For the Parallax and MPI servos, the only modification necessary was the removal of the pot-gear connector and the tab on the final gear.  For the Futaba, I had to completely open the servo and bend the wires under the pot until it no longer contacted the connector to the final gear.

When I test the servos, the Futaba works fine, but the other servos tend to "hiccup".  They do not turn uniformly, but instead turn on and off at about 10 times a second.  I opened the servo to see if the problem was with the gears or with the motor, and it is with the motor.  However, if I hook up the ground and 6V power from one source and the ground and control signal from another source, then the motor runs smoothly.  Why is the servo hiccuping, and how can I get it to run smoothly using only one source (microcontroller)?

-Sanjay Agrawal