[DPRG] Help needed this Sat at TSP

Subject: [DPRG] Help needed this Sat at TSP
From: Kipton moravec kmoravec at airmail.net
Date: Tue May 2 20:25:00 CDT 2000

I can make it.

Kip

----- Original Message -----
To: <dprglist at dprg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 2:41 PM

> Help!
>
> Several volunteers are needed for judging a robotics contest.
> The contest is this Saturday May 6 from 10 a.m. - Noon at The Science
Place.
> If DPRG helps with this we will get a RoboMow robotic lawn mower.
> Note that our club meeting is Saturday also from Noon - 2pm.
>
> I don't have much info on this event.  There will be  around 30 kids
> from area Boys and Girls Clubs coming to participate.  Ages about 8 -10.
> Their task is to draw or build their ideal personal robot.  Attached is
> the info that I have on this.
>

> Also we need robots to demo, working or not.
>     David Anderson ??  SR04
>      James Vroman ??    walker, line follower
>      Barry Jordan  ??    robot arm
>      Lego bots ??
>

> Please let me know if you can help.   I will be there which will make
> me a bit late for the regular meeting.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Clay Timmons-

> Robotics curriculum
>
> What is a robot?
>
> Many things in your home have computer chips or can be programmed like
your VCR or the thermostat, but are not considered robots.

> Webster?s dictionary says a robot is an automatic device that performs
functions that people normally perform.

> A robot is a machine that gathers information about its environment and
uses that information to follow instructions and do work. Robots come in all
> shapes and sizes. Robots are used in factories, in space, during surgery,
in the ocean and even around your house.

> You will soon have the opportunity to design and build your own robot,
using (crayons, markers, toothpicks, whatever arts and crafts supplies are
> available).
>
> You will be asked to design a robot to accomplish a specific task, like
tying your shoes or making your bed, whatever you want a robot to do for
you.

> Things to think about?
>
> What does the robot look like? Is there a reason for it to look as it
does?

> How does the robot "know" or figure out what's around it or where it is?
>
> How does the robot move? Does it have wheels, can it walk, etc.?
>
> How does the robot move other objects within its environment?
>
> How is the robot powered? Does it use batteries?  Do you plug it in?
>
> What situations or tasks for which it makes more sense to use robots
rather than humans?

> How do you communicate with your robot? Would you talk to it, press
buttons, type words, make gestures?