[DPRG] Robots, PDF files and what-not

Subject: [DPRG] Robots, PDF files and what-not
From: Mike Mccarty Sr jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Thu May 4 16:44:52 CDT 2000

----

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Jeffrey T. Birt wrote:

> Hi guys!
>

> Well I've got the LED blinking on the BotBoard II !!!!   It took a
couple nights to figure out how to actually get a program into the
68hc11 and get it to run.  PCBUG11 is not the handiest piece of
software to work with but it does work.  Since I'm using a 68hc11a1 and
the rest of the world (at least the references I've found on the net)
are using -e series devices.  This caused some confusion on my part
about getting the EEPROM programmed.

Congratulations! If you look *really* hard, you will find there is a key
marked "Return" or similar on your keyboard. You might be able to get it
to work, too.

:-)

> After getting a program in the MCU the next trick was getting it
reset to the start of the EEPROM.  I knew that I had seen this info in

[snip]

a reset!  I'm going to come up with a more automated system so that the
MCU will still reset as above and then 'untie' the Tx and Rx pins so
that the serial port can be used.  Sort of like a normal bootsrap mode
\ jump to EEPROM bootstrap mode switch.  Baby steps....

I have a circuit kindly forwarded to me from Karl Yundt which does that.
On the E-series procs it would require a pull-up resistor. Anyway, if
you want it, I'll send you a copy of it.

> The next steps will be the LCD and keyboard interfaces.  The LCD
looks straight forward, what have you all done with keyboard
interfacing?  I have a 16 key 4x4 matrix keyboard.  I'm wondering about
debouncing and all any ideas.  I think that going with an operator
interface first will not only make things easier later but be a good
place to start learning how to program the 68hc11.

I'd use a keyboard interface IC. They're cheap, and easy to use.

> On to PDF files, I can't figure out what's up.  Normally when
downloading a PDF formatted data sheet of such I'll right click on the
link and 'Save target as'.  Now I don't get that option highlighted in
the menu.  I resorted to copying the PDF files from IE's temp files but
that seems like a round-about way to do things.  For the life of me I
don't know what's changed.  Any ideas?

I dunno. It sounds like you use Netscrape, as do I. It always has worked
for me.

I wish you luck.