[DPRG] Super-flat sensor ideas?

Subject: [DPRG] Super-flat sensor ideas?
From: Patrick Innes kc5ugq at yahoo.com
Date: Fri May 12 10:02:18 CDT 2000

Hi.

I've recently been asked to assist a friend of mine
with a multi-media art project.  It is to involve a
sculpture studded with touch sensors, which will
replace the keys on a modified Mac keyboard, to
trigger various sounds, movies, etc. on the computer.

>From what I've heard about the concept, it should be
fairly straightforward to implement the program and
electronics, though I'm still at the "guess and see"
stage for coming up with the touch sensors.  They're
supposed to be affixed to a plaster sculpture of a
human torso, so I'm trying to make them as low-profile
as possible -- the effect isn't supposed to be, "Hey
look!  Buttons to push!", so I'm trying to shoot for
super-flat switches.  This is for a student project,
so low-cost (preferably zero) is important as well.

So far, my best idea is to take two sheets of plastic
(like overhead transparency stuff) and rubber-cement
foil to one side of each, placing a third sheet with
holes in it in between to keep them separated except
when they're being pressed (Alternately, I've also
considered using a metallized mylar survival blanket).
 The idea is sort of like a plastic and foil sandwich.

Probably easier to _show_ you what I mean, rather than
trying to describe it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pkinnes/xfer/robotics/sensor.gif

Anyways, that's the idea I'm working towards.  If
anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.

thanks!

-- Patrick
   KC5UGQ