[dprg] tutebot brain breadboard layout question

Subject: [dprg] tutebot brain breadboard layout question
From: olio olio at fornet.net
Date: Mon May 15 22:49:21 CDT 2000

>I also don't understand
> what D1 does because I don't know what J1 (a power connector)
> is there for.

have any idea why the entire circuit wasn't included for a tutorial of
this type?

> OK, now your robot stops, and begins to back up.  This causes SW1
> to open.  What happens?  R1/R2 cause the charge on C1 to "slowly"
> drain away.  How quickly this happens is adjustable with R1.

the drain is actually pretty good without the pots.  it reverses for
aprox 5-7 secs.  and i can live with that for now.

> drains the charge away.  Your robot will back up for a LONG time!

but you said LONG time enough to make the question if something is wrong
with my set up cause it actually isn't reversing for such a long time.
well, are we talking long in elephant or gnat years? :^)

> What difference in behavior will you get with 2 switches instead of
> the single one shown in the book's schematic?

well i expect to see differential turning/steering.  i plan on making it
a three wheeler - third just as  a go-along wheel.  maybe even S3 & S4
connected to S1 & s2 (to have bumpers for the rear of the bot in case it
gets backed in somewhere.)

thanks tons for helping clear up some things.
tons man.
miguel