[DPRG] Super-flat sensor ideas?

Subject: [DPRG] Super-flat sensor ideas?
From: McQuay, Michael Michael.McQuay at wilcom.com
Date: Fri May 12 10:34:00 CDT 2000

> my best idea is to take two sheets of plastic (like overhead transparency
stuff) and rubber-cement foil to one side of each,

	Even less obstructive than that would be to place small conductive
surfaces all over the sculpture (squares of foil, whatever) that acted as
touch switches (like on a lamp that you can simply touch to turn on/off).
Of course there may be more circuit building involved for the
touch-sensitive circuits, but it would definitely be a less "button-like"
experience for the end-user.

	Radio Shack sells a small "Engineers Mini-Notebook" that covers
using 555 timer chips to build this sort of a touch-sensitive switch,
however you may just be able to hookup a transistor to each foil square to
accomplish what you want, since you're just wanting a momentary "on", rather
than a timed pulse.  You might need to have pairs of conductive foil side by
side all over the sculputure so that the transistor turns on whenever a hand
brides the gap between a grounded (or hot) foil and an adjacent foil that's
connected to a transistor's base.

	The "Engineers Mini-Notebook" series is available at Radio Shack for
about $2 apiece, I think.  Each booklet covers a different topic (555 timer
circuits, Logic circuits, Op-amp circuits) and has lots of example
schematics of common circuits.