[DPRG] About the Hall-effect sensor?

Subject: [DPRG] About the Hall-effect sensor?
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Fri May 26 09:48:12 CDT 2000

When a charged particle moves at right angles to magnetic lines of
force, it experiences an electrical force at right angles to both its
path and the magnetic field. If one takes a rectangular conductive
sheet and places it so that it is perpendicular to a magnetic field,
then passes current through the sheet from one side to the opposite
parallel side, the current flows in a curve. This causes there to be a
current across the sheet as well. The strength of this current
increases with the strength of the magnetic field. This is the Hall
Effect.

With no magnetic field

                Voltage applied to this side
                so current flows in here

        +---------------+
        | | | | | | | | |
        | V V V V V V V |
        | | | | | | | | |
        | V V V V V V V |
        | | | | | | | | |
        | | | | | | | | |
        | V V V V V V V |
        +---------------+

                V Current flows out here

With magnetic field

                Voltage applied to this side
                so current flows in here

        +---------------+
        | | | | | | | | |
        | V V V V V V V |
        | / | | | | | | |
Current |/  | | | | | | | The current curves, and some flows across the
also    <   V V V V V V | plate at right angles to the applied voltage
flows   |  /  | | | | | |

                V Current flows out here

It can be used to sense proximity, for example, to a magnet. It can also
be used to count revolutions of a wheel.

Mike
----