[DPRG] Maximum voltage on hobby servos

Subject: [DPRG] Maximum voltage on hobby servos
From: Patrick Innes kc5ugq at yahoo.com
Date: Mon May 29 22:43:55 CDT 2000

Hello!

I used to race R/C trucks, but never actually got
around to measuring and seeing if the voltage supplied
by the speed control unit was actually 6 volts, or
just the 7.2 passed on through (I know -- Bad techie!
No cookie!).  Should probably do that some time.

Anyways, I would also think that running at a higher
voltage would tend to induce jitter and/or "buzz" into
the servo's output, since any adjustments it would try
to make would be made faster (they're designed around
hitting a target position smoothly at 5 volts), and
they might tend to overshoot and have to backtrack.

Just a thought.  No real data to back this up, etc.

-- Patrick
   KC5UGQ

--- Dennis Draheim <ddra at airmail.net> wrote:
> Jeffrey,
>
> I've run HiTec brand servos on 7.2v with no apparent
> problems.  I don't
> know about the Futabas though.  In any case, it
> probably shortens the
> life of the servo a bit...
>
> Dennis

[ snip ]