[DPRG] Fwd: pwm-generator

Subject: [DPRG] Fwd: pwm-generator
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Tue Oct 3 00:00:31 CDT 2000

A sign magnitude PWM gets complicated if you do it in logic.  You can do it
in a CPLD, but it would probably be   easier to use a microcontroller.

I would suggest a 89C51RD+ (~$7US), or a 87C51FA (<$4US).  Both have 4
channels of built in PWM and extra logic pins to control the H-bridge
direction.  You can talk to it over the serial port to make communications
easier.

If you only need 1 channel, then look at a PIC, or some other 24 pin
processor chip.  (There are 8051 family chips that have only 24 pins and are
really cheap too. <$2US.)

Look at the Philips chart of microcontrollers on their website.
http://www-us.semiconductors.philips.com/mcu/products/selguides/  Choose one
with PWM and most of the work is done for you.

Kip