[DPRG] Fwd: in need of some information.

Subject: [DPRG] Fwd: in need of some information.
From: RoboVac robovac at mninter.net
Date: Tue Oct 10 21:11:45 CDT 2000

I am not just sure what you are asking but I will give it a try.  First DC
motors are very different from stepper motors.  Stepper motors are very good
at doing precise moves, usually require no sensors to determine their
position, and are easy to program.

DC motors are faster, more powerful, and do not waste electricity when
holding still.  But they normally have no control over how far they have
rotated.

By adding sensors to a DC motor to measure how far it has rotated and a
computer to tell it what to do next a DC motor can be converted into a servo
motor.  A servo motor can be made to rotate by any amount.

I am not sure what type of motor you are trying to use.

For help on using a printer port to control a motor look at "The Robot
Builder's Bonanza 99 Inexpensive Robotics Projects" by Gordon McComb.  It
was written in 1987 so some of the parts are no longer easy to find, but the
book should help you a lot.

William Crolley