[DPRG] A good weekend - PWM is now working

Subject: [DPRG] A good weekend - PWM is now working
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Tue Oct 17 11:25:11 CDT 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Jeffrey T. Birt wrote:

> It's been a good 'bot weekend.  I got PWM working on my BotBoard II.  This
> involved several new things in one project.
>
> First attempt at using an interrupt
>    "         "         "  starting in any mode besides bootstrap
>    "         "         "  mapping different aspects of the program to
> different memory areas.
>    "         "         "  testing the battery backup for the 32K static ram.
>
> The good news is that I got a nice 50% duty cycle PWM output!  The bad news

Congratulations! That is a lot to accomplish in one weekend.

> is that the memory backup battery died in the three weeks it has been in the
> circuit.  Double checked the wiring tonight, all seems kosher, maybe a
> flakey battery (3V Lithium)?  Most of the trouble I had was fighting with

More likely, you have some leakage somewhere. Something is not being
turned completely off when in power down mode.

> AS11 over syntax.  There has to be a better (more modern) assembler
> available.  Any ideas?

What kind of fights? I've never had a problem with it.

More to the point, what kind of features do you desire in an assembler?

It's not hard to write an assembler. You could write your own. Several
years ago a brother in law of mine needed an assembler for the 8051. He
couldn't find one that he could use (he was a chemist) so I wrote one
for him. It took 2 days (one weekend) to get the thing working, and
another two weeks (of spare time) to get all the error checking and
whatnot put in. When he demo'd it for a friend who was using a
commercial 68000 assembler, he said it was more feature-rich than the
expensive 68000 assembler.

I left out two things: include files (easy to add) and macro processing
(difficult to add).

Anyway, LEX and YACC make things *really* easy.

Mike