[DPRG] Making Metal

Subject: [DPRG] Making Metal
From: Larry Kerns larrykerns at home.com
Date: Wed Oct 18 20:37:48 CDT 2000

Eric,

Funny you should bring up this subject!!  I've gathered my materials and
will be building my home foundry this weekend.  It is a form of the
popular Dave Gingery furnace for melting non-ferrous metals (aluminum,
brass, etc.) using nothing but charcoal and a hair dryer (blower).  Check
out these websites for examples of working furnaces:

    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r/fun_with_molten_metal.htm

    http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage2.htm

These furnaces are extremely easy AND cheap to make and work fantastic at
melting aluminum and brass for home casting.  The original Gingery
furnace was designed to work with standard barbeque charcoal for ease of
use and economy but many have added a homemade propane burner to replace
the charcoal and hair dryer blower.  The homemade burners are almost all
based on the Ron Reil propane burner design.  Ron has put his design on
the internet at:

    http://www.webpak.net/~rreil/design.html#forge burners

Scroll down to the section on propane burners and click on the green
picture to see a drawing of the burner.  It's just a couple of pipe
nipples and a pipe reducer (1-1/2" to 3/4").  Simple, eh?  The advantage
of the propane burner is no mess to clean up afterwards (ashes) and no
sparks to set the woods or roofs on fire.

I obtained the "castable refractory cement" from the local masonary
supply house ($23 per 50# bag).  I am making mine in a small trash can
(10-gal) because I wanted to cast larger pieces but Dave's furnace design
uses an old 5-gal bucket.  Make sure that you get "castable" refractory
cement because they do sell another variety that isn't suited for the
job.

I plan to cast parts for my robot, of course, but I also am into
telescope making and plan to make a lot of my own parts for that as well
(both aluminum and brass).  I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Larry Kerns
Exiled to Iowa (to where?)