[DPRG] discharging nicads and Robot Builders Bonanza redux

Subject: [DPRG] discharging nicads and Robot Builders Bonanza redux
From: Benoit Provost benoitprovost at yahoo.com
Date: Tue Oct 31 09:12:11 CST 2000

Hi,

  I am building a 12 V charger so I am interrested in
ways to discharge the batteries quickly (for test
purposes).  Maybe I am missing something, but is there
something wrong in simply using a high-wattage,
low-value resistor to load them?

  Benoit

--- gfe <gfe at coollink.net> wrote:
> Hi Ralph
>
> Still looking for some ideas on a nicad discharger.
>
> 7.2 volts (6 AA cells). It looks like the goal is to
> drain them to about 5.5
> volts before recharging. I've used schemes that use
> lightbulbs, but besides
> being inelegant it seems dangerous.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Frank

=====
|  Benoit Provost                                       |
|  Texas Instruments Inc., Data Converter Group         |
|  Tel: (214) 480-6728                                  |
|  e-mail:  bprovost at ti.com                             |
|  Web-Page:  http://amesp02.tamu.edu/~provost          |
|  As Every Cat's Owner Knows, Nobody Owns a Cat        |