[DPRG] Microcontrollers (fwd)

Subject: [DPRG] Microcontrollers (fwd)
From: Mike McCarty jmccarty at ssd.usa.alcatel.com
Date: Mon Aug 6 10:02:18 CDT 2001

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Eric Yundt wrote:

> Sara Shakil Akhtar wrote:
> > From: Sara Shakil Akhtar <sakh001 at ec.auckland.ac.nz>
> > Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:04:19 +1200
> > To: jbrown at dprg.org
> > Subject: Microcontrollers
> >
> > Hi, I am doing a project on Brushed DC motors and was wondering if I can
> > get any advice regarding which microcontroller to control the motor. The
> > motor requires 20 amps to operate. A wide range of options would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanking You
> > Sara
<

Actually, there are many which can do what you want. I happen to like
the MC68HC11 family, which can generate PWM directly. Some like the PIC,
though I find its assembly language and architecture somewhat bizarre.
Some of the PICs can also generate PWM directly.

My recommendation is to draw up somewhat detailled specifications for
your robot first, then think about what fits. Generally, I think,
you'll find that the software requirements will more dictate what kind
of processor, if any, you use. If you need complicated navigation
routines, then a PIC probably isn't right for you.

The type of motor usually does not influence the choice of uC, in that
the uC cannot directly drive the motors, anyway, and need support
circuitry. If one is adding support circuitry, then externally generated
PWM is not a bad deal, and so ...

Mike