[DPRG] PWM Frequency/Resolution Tradeoffs

Subject: [DPRG] PWM Frequency/Resolution Tradeoffs
From: Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Fri Aug 24 09:02:01 CDT 2001

David P wrote:

> Besides it might be cool if your robot had a 300 Hz growl or
> whine or what ever 300 Hz turns out to be. (Isn't A 440 Hz?)

I can see a driver to play MIDI files on the motors by changing the
PWM frequency as appropriate. Two voice polyphony...

As for choosing a frequency, I have little practical experience here,
but a lot of variable speed cordless drills use a fairly low frequency,
I'm guessing around 500 Hz. The gears and fans on the drills drown out
most of the hum, but even so, I don't find it objectionable.

I would think a person could reach a compromise between high CPU
speeds for generating ultrasonic PWM and the simplicity of
generating it at lower frequencies.

On an unrelated subject, does anyone know much about utilizing 80186
chips? I have two different stacks of salvaged communications gear that
each have several in them, all socketed. I probably have 24 of them
total. Hate to just chuck'em.

Sluggy!