[DPRG] What's you favorite motor driver chip?

Subject: [DPRG] What's you favorite motor driver chip?
From: Jeffrey T. Birt ditto at ipa.net
Date: Sun Aug 26 22:18:28 CDT 2001

I've been researching motor driver chips (H-Bridge) for use on the Pittman
motors from Tanners.  These motors have a stall current of about 1.8 amps.
So figure on a 2 amp driver per motor.  The choices I've come up with are as
follows:

LMD18200 - pricey at $12-$18 each, but includes integrated current sensing,
overcurrent, back emf diodes, ect.

L298- less expensive at $5.00 might be able to drive two motors off one chip
(max. power disp is 25w), would need to use external diodes and current
sensing resistors.

LMD293\SN754410NE - might be able to parallel both drivers in these chips to
get enough current capacity, about $4-5 each.

I found a interesting part form TI - TPIC0108B It's rated at three amps
continuos, over current shutdown, ect but only comes in a surface mount
package, about $3.00 each.

Does anyone know of any other good choices?

I do have one more question, what is the correct method of figuring the
power dissipation for one of these chips?  For instance if I'm driving a
motor at 12v and 1 amp, the motor would be dissipate 12w and the power
dissipation of the driver would be dependent upon it's rds, correct?

Jeff Birt
Halfway, Missouri