[DPRG] More quad encoder stuff

Subject: [DPRG] More quad encoder stuff
From: Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Date: Thu Aug 30 12:39:44 CDT 2001

Yesterday, I wrote:

> I drew a 10 division wheel, but just then, the linuxlegend.com server
> seems to have gone away

Ok, linuxlegend.com is back up (after replacing a CPU fan!) so those
interested will find three pictures at
http://www.linuxlegend.com/~slugmusk/encpix

enc-7.gif is just a plain wheel with 14 divisions, 7 white, 7 black.
After the discussion on the list, I now see where mounting the
detectors physically 180 degrees appart will not work like we thought.
Mounting them 90 degrees apart will, however.

enc-90.gif is a 10 division wheel with two rings of bands to provide
signals 90 degrees appart with two detectors mounted parallel to one
another along a radius line from the center.

Just for the fun of it, 6bitgray.gif is a 6 bit Gray code disk pattern.
It is designed to have 6 sensors on the radius line and to increment
as the disk turns clockwise.

In other news, I have revisited a Hewlett-Packard (Now Agilent
Technologies) part that I looked into quite a while back, the HEDR-8000.
These are surface mounted 8 pin (S08 package) devices with all optics
and electronics to read, reflectively, a 75 or 150 line-per-inch
pattern and provide a quadrature output. There are a couple of minor
varieties, the biggest differences being LPI count and resolution. They
specify an optical radius of 11mm, even for linear use, so I think it
must be a minimum radius rating.

The URLs on the site are torturously long, so I have put the PDF for
the part on my site: http://www.linuxlegend.com/~slugmusk/hedr8000.pdf

To check them out on your own, start with
http://www.semiconductor.agilent.com/cgi-bin/morpheus/home/home.jsp
and look under Motion Control.

The actual rating of the 75 LPI part is 70-75 lines per inch, so I
printed a 72 line per inch pattern on a 1 inch diameter disk. Assuming
I did the math right (113 black/white divisions around the
circumference of a 1 inch diameter disk), it looks pretty usable. As a
matter of practical concern, I may need to adjust the size of the dark
regions to keep them balanced with the light regions, as at this size,
it bleeds over a bit. I will try a 150 line disk later today, but I
think that may be approaching the practical resolution of my laser
printer on plain paper.

In any case, this looks like a promising way to dodge the entire issue
of mounting two sensors while keeping the simplicity of a printed disk
attached with glue. I requested a sample kit (3 pieces) directly from
Agilent (800 235 0312) and can expect it in 3-5 days.

Sluggy!