[DPRG] Blast from the past - OT and Lightning?

Subject: [DPRG] Blast from the past - OT and Lightning?
From: Karim Virani karim at yadallas.org
Date: Mon Jul 9 15:38:27 CDT 2001

> I thought those just worked off of static. IOW, as the noise level goes
> up a threshhold is reached and the alarm sounds.

I believe you're talking about lightning prediction.  Lightning detection
and ranging works by triangulating on the RF signal generated by the
multiple strokes (as many as 100 in a single ground-to-sky bolt).  The
signal is audible with the right receiver, though I don't remember which
band.

> ... sort of proactive lightning control.  Maybe I'm
> trying to re-invent the wheel here, any thoughts?

Try a surge protector?  The grid is fairly well inured against nearby
strikes.  Lightning wants to go to ground really badly, so the electrical
effect tends to be very local. And chances are that if you're on a circuit
that gets hit directly, you're fried anyway.  My grandmother's house was
struck by lighting.  It found one circuit and followed it to ground.  The
wall was scorched where the wires ran, and all of the devices on that
circuit were smoked - including a surge protector.  The other circuits in
the house were barely affected, and almost all of the devices on them
survived.  None of the neighbors had problems - there wasn't even a
brown-out.  I don't know if this one experience is typical.

Karim