[DPRG] connecting to a motor output shaft

Subject: [DPRG] connecting to a motor output shaft
From: Dean Hall dwhall256 at yahoo.com
Date: Wed Jul 11 16:47:03 CDT 2001

Hello all,

I have a small motor with an output shaft that is
flattened.  I don't have dimensions with me, but the
shaft is about 1.5x the diameter of coat-hanger wire.

So far I've used two methods to connect to the shaft:

1) A collar (from RC equipment) with a set nut.  I
then had to epoxy the set nut to the face of some
aluminum I was using for the, uh, appendage.  The
epoxy didn't adhere well even though I roughed up the
aluminum.

2) A nylon standoff (used to stack PCBs) that fit over
the shaft by friction.  It was NOT thick enough to
drill a hole for a set nut.  The friction held for the
small wheel I was using for that project, but my
torque demands are higher for this project, and I
don't think the friction will hold.

My question is:

What are some good techniques for attaching to a small
motor shaft?

My requirements are that it be small and lightweight.
I'm also intending two of these motors to be connected
orthogonally, so I have X and Y axes of rotation.
(to spill the beans, I'm trying to attach a straight
leg to the motors to the chassis; kinda like genghis,
except I'm not using RC servos)

!!Dean